Taking care of your dental health is crucial for maintaining overall health, starting with prevention. One of the best ways to prevent tooth decay and cavities is with dental sealants. With dental sealants at Highland Park Dental in Dallas, Texas, you can ensure the health of your teeth. This preventative measure is a low-cost procedure that can save your teeth from tooth decay, which can cause several problems if your tooth were to be affected by decay.
At our office, Dr. Aaron Jones and his team are devoted to ensuring the proper care for each patient, focusing on each patient’s needs. We proudly provide award-winning dentistry in Dallas, Texas, and strive to continue offering our patients the best of services.
What are Dental Sealants?
Dental sealants are thin plastic coatings that we will apply to the surfaces of the molars and premolars. These back teeth have rough surfaces that trap food particles and bacteria, leading to tooth decay and cavities. Sealants bond to the teeth and form a protective shield over the enamel, preventing decay from forming.
Who Should Get Dental Sealants?
Sealants are recommended for children and teenagers when their permanent molars come in, typically around ages 6-12. Adults prone to cavities and deep grooves in their back teeth may also benefit from sealants. Prevention is key; sealants can protect teeth from decay for up to ten years!
Applying sealants is a painless and straightforward procedure that we can do right here at our office. We will clean and dry your teeth, and then a special gel is applied to roughen the tooth’s surface. The sealant is then applied to the tooth and hardened with a special light. The process only takes a few minutes per tooth, and no anesthesia is needed.
Aftercare for Dental Sealants
After getting sealants, we strongly encourage our patients to do the following:
- After the appointment, avoid eating or chewing on hard, sticky foods for 24 hours.
- Keep up your oral hygiene routine by brushing and flossing regularly to keep your teeth clean and healthy.
- Regular dental check-ups are still necessary to ensure the sealants are intact and teeth are cavity-free. So, please schedule an appointment with us today to keep up with your regular dental check-ups with Dr. Jones.
Benefits of Sealants
Sealants offer a variety of benefits that contribute to overall oral health:
- Prevention of Tooth Decay: Dental sealants provide a protective barrier, reducing the chance of cavities by preventing food particles and bacteria from settling on the tooth surface.
- Cost-Effective: Compared to the cost of treating cavities, sealants are a cost-effective preventive measure that can save you money in the long run.
- Long-Lasting Protection: Once applied, sealants can last up to 10 years with proper care and regular dental check-ups.
- Non-Invasive and Painless: Applying sealants is simple, quick, and painless, requiring no drilling or removal of tooth structure.
- Enhanced Oral Health: By preventing decay and potential tooth loss, sealants contribute to the maintenance of overall oral health.
- Ideal for Children: They are particularly beneficial for children at a higher risk of cavities due to inadequate brushing.
Remember, despite these advantages, sealants do not replace the need for regular brushing and flossing. They are an additional measure to help maintain good oral hygiene.
Dental Sealants in Dallas, TX
Dental sealants are an excellent tool for maintaining good dental health. Getting dental sealants is an easy and painless procedure that can protect teeth from tooth decay and cavities for years. If you are prone to cavities or have a child who is, schedule a consultation with Dr. Jones to see about getting dental sealants.